Thursday, March 1, 2012

What we Appeal to.

When I think of pathos, and its appeal to emotions, this can be visibly seen in how we relate, as well as feel a sense of comfort to many things in the world. As a young adult of a diverse culture, and background, I'm also diverse in the music I listen to as well as movies, t.v. shows, and books I read. What I've noticed about myself, is that I tend to read books of a specific genre, watch romantic movies over horror ones, and listen to rhythm and blues beyond anything else. What I've realized is although I'm very diverse in the things i do and or like, It is the ways in which they appeal to me as an individual that I'm more likely to find interest in the subject. As an American teenager, listening to hip hop of my generation is appealing to me because I can understand the lingo of the subjects, and the messages in the songs that are current to my age group. For my parents and grandparents they aren't able to appeal to it in the same manner because their interest and emotions show a greater connection to music of their own time. I would consider my music generation that of a "party" generation, so most songs relate to such and can be found more entertaining by my group of peers. While on the other hand, songs about peace and equality might be more affective and appealing to the emotions of my elders who lived in a time where they had to struggle through such barriers.

One of the most interesting things, beyond the cohort between generations, is the differences of appeal amongst cultures. Born and raised in America, there is a certain comedy to things that we understand or appeal to that other cultures fail to acknowledge in the same ways we do. Also being of Jamaican ancestry, we have our own sort of ideas of how we respond and represent our country, so I'm able to see as a child of Jamaican parents the appeals to this culture of people as well. When we consider music speaking on living in the "ghetto" or not having a successful life, a lot more Jamaicans and or Caribbeans can find this sort of music more appealing than maybe some parts of prosperous places in the US that would lack that sort of appeal. Still, when appeals to emotions through pathos are more general, we get a greater audience of acknowledgement. One example from both of my Jamaican and American culture, is the the music of Bob Marely. Bob Marely is known all around the world for his songs of inspiration on freedom, and non-violence. Peace is something many cultures struggle with, and especially in the time that Bob Marely was performing such songs, he pulled in such a grand and worldwide amount of fans. Everyone could understand the necessity and or desire for peace, so such an appeal was able to impact people of all ages, backgrounds, and ethnicity's. While to this day, Bob Marely's music still speak volumes to important issues, the technique he uses to appeal a variety of audiences to his music is still such an amazing event to this day. Other artists like Michael Jackson has had the ability to make general and worldwide appeals in cultures that many not even speak english, and this just goes to show the power pathos has amongst cultures and groups of many people.


No comments:

Post a Comment