Friday, March 30, 2012

The Power of a Smile

When I consider rhetoric as the art of persuasion in speech and writing, I tend to forget that there are other ways in which people could persuade others without any type of vocal modalities. And then I realized that one of the biggest ways I've been persuaded, is by a simple smile. People have said, smile to someone random, and it'll make their day, but I never realized just how life changing a smile truly was.

RIP A.F.
In this last month, I've learned so much more about the power of a smile that I had never considered before. One of my friends from elementary school, always had a smile on his face. Even though I hadn't talked to him in maybe years, I would see his facebook profile picture, and his smile, and he seemed to be a truly happy person. What I learned the hard way, was that a smile can be more than deceiving. A kid that always smiled, and further always seemed to want to make other people happy, hid so much pain beneath that smile. Over spring break, I found out that this friend took his own life, and it was a surprise to almost everyone. How could a person who grinned in every picture, constantly tried to cheer his mother up through her own sickness, and always joked around to make others smile, not see life worth living? I considered all the hurt and pain he must have held and kept to himself, and when I look back on his old pictures, the smile he carries tells such a different story. I believe that his smile was a comfort to those around him, and although he's gone, I know he no longer has to carry his pain. But I will forever look up into the sky, and imagine that beautiful smile looking down at all of us, his friends and family.

Recently I met this young lady who I thought was absolutely beautiful, she spoke with extreme confidence, and her jokes constantly had me at the edge of my seat. When she started to open up about her pain and past relationship that was filled with years of abuse, I immediately started to cry. What shocked me the most was that I had assumed by her appearance that this young lady was a happy and confident person, and I can't imagine the facade she put on to her loved ones and friends while she lived with such abuse. These last couple of weeks, have taught me so much about the assumptions we get from a simple smile. And when I think about how much we don't know or realize about the secrets and sadness beneath a smile, I question the ways we express ourselves to the people around us. Yet, I've learned the importance of truly getting to know someone, and making myself available just to listen if someone ever needed. 

2 comments:

  1. It is interesting how easily we can deceive people by our body language. Holding your shoulders up high shows confidence. Laughing a lot shows a carefree nature. And smiling shows happiness and a life free of pain. We read so much into the way someone portrays themselves, without actually thinking that it could just be a front that the person puts up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the video about the dolphins with the qoute saying a smile is natures most deceptful invention. I know that a smile can hide almost anything, and it is usually those who smile the most who hide the most pain.

    ReplyDelete