Thursday, April 19, 2012

Change in a Decade

"Kids born in the 90s have lived to see 3 decades, 2 centuries, 1 millennium, and most of us aren't 21 yet" (online quote). I was born in the 90s, raised thought the 90s and early 2000s, and it feels like I have live a completely different life. There has been so many changes since I was a child, in terms of fashion, trends, an array of new acceptance (race and gender wise), and a major and rapidly changing technological transformations. Many peers within my age group witnessed the change from house phones to smart phones, and for a large part most of us feel comfortable with technology in ways that our parents might not, and the younger generations will never understand. But for some reason, the 90s is commonly refereed to as a "simpler time" and there is just so much that we miss about the 90s and it truly wasn't so long ago. It seems like a far beyond time, but even with such advanced and efficient technological changes, we still yearn for the past experiences we had without them, and its crazy to imagine that my younger sister may never get to experience the great 90s that I miss so much.

The 90s seemed like best of times, our parents dressed and dressed us in things we would never be caught dead in today, we have special pop artist like N'sync and Spice Girls, our large array of television shows that are so much different than the ones today, and those simple toys we had that we could play with for hours and they did so little compared to the Xbox 360 game system. I know I miss the 90s, and I truly feel like that time and the essence of that time is apart of my character and the shared character of all of us early 90s babies. Maybe I can't return to the 90s, but I can re-vist my favorite part of my youth, and re-live it with my favorite television shows. With youtube and its large array of playlist collections, I can simply type in 90s shows, and watch my favorite seasons of Kenan & Kel, Recess, Rugrats, Hey Arnold, Animaniacs, Doug, All That, A Different World, and so many more. I just love going back and re-watching and remembering how excited I was to watch it on my once huge television thats now a flatscreen. It seemed to me that the style of the shows back then are so much different from the shows that they make for kids today. I watched some later television and family shows, and it was interesting to me how they would approach topics about teens and drugs or other family issues, and how they played out on the shows and then were discussed as an important issues after. It seemed like it was at that time, there was such a greater connectedness an need to examine issues as a socitey. When I watch reality shows and other television programs today, the ways in which they present topics and handle situations is now done for laughs and shows like "Jersey Shore" just seem to "kill my brain cells" because I feel like there is no more "messages" and "connectedness" that there once was on television shows. I've realized that in a short amount of years, our television programing has gone so far off of invented creativeness and with the larger variety of shows, it takes up a lot more time in our day just sitting around than being as active as we were in the 90s. I understand that we can't change our programming to be fitting to the 90s but looking back at all of our shows at that time, tells a lot about the logos of style about how programming has changed, and how the differences affect the ways in which we counteract in our society.


No comments:

Post a Comment