Thursday, February 16, 2012

Disturbed.

buzzfeed.com
In our society, we are almost overwhelmed by the numerous ads we encounter on a daily basis. So much so that we aren't really conscious of them, nor the amount of times we see them, or even the affects they have on us. One could be waiting for a bus and encounter an ad, preparing to watch their favorite tv show, reading a newspaper, browsing the web and Facebook stalking, and more. As a  society we've in a way accepted ads as apart of our day to day lives, and while so may catch our attention over others, we are often driven to feel some type of emotion from such ads, and in rhetoric that technique of appealing to emotions in referred to as pathos. After reading about pathos, I found it to be one of my favorite chapters in my Rhetoric and Civic Life textbook. It has opened my eyes to not only take a deeper look at the styles and techniques of ads, but also notice the different emotions that unfold within myself based on the type of ad being presented.

While browsing on my Facebook, I came to view a post put up by one of my friends, from buzzfeed. When I first read the title "25 Extremely Upsetting Reactions At The Grammys", I immediately thought that it was a response to Chris Brown's Grammy performance, and that maybe a lot of viewers disliked it (as I did). But what I  was shocked to find out, was that a lot of women were responding to the Chris Brown charges of assault  to musical artist Rihanna, due to a recent court appearance. While watching his performance at the Grammys, no one was commenting on his actual talent or style of performing, but how much they loved him to the point that they thought it was ok for him to "beat" them?! This was extremely sickening for me to read, that in my own society, as well as generation, that abuse would ever be not only justified but asked for because of the type a talent or celebrity one was.

This certainly appealed to my emotions, and the definition of pathos, in which I automatically was moved by the comments, as well as held some type of self reflection. I considered what this meant about the females who actually wrote the comments and what it said about their self esteem, as well as the readers who in a way would feel some type of pity for girls who wrote this. As a girl myself, I couldn't imagine or believe that when it came down to it, such girls would actually advocate for domestic violence, and I'm sure for parents reading this as well that it would saddened them to know that young girls found this acceptable at all. Even viewing us as a society, one would think that we came along way from sexism and constantly campaign against abuse. We would suppose that this public domestic violence case would show young girls not to settle for but campaign against domestic abuse. Maybe it's the lack of true emotions that the young girls making such comments have, but hopefully we could make an even bigger example of Chris Brown to show just how serious and present domestic abuse is.

2 comments:

  1. Craving attention is a disturbing trait many possess today. Unfortunetely, people do not focus on the severity of demostic violence, and just because one holds some title that it becomes okay to commit these acts. Media like Twitter and Facebook do not help in promoting such actions. Hopefully our youth will regain their senses and see the actual traits Chris Brown holds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard about this too, where people were saying they would let Chris Brown abuse them. It's outrageous! I truly don't understand how people can make a joke out of such a serious matter. I don't think people take into consideration what the words that they are putting on social websites ACTUALLY mean. "I would let Chris Brown beat me any time." Honestly, you would not ever subject yourself willingly into that. Otherwise, you are crazy. I think people need to start thinking before they write.

    ReplyDelete