Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Rhetorical Memorial

Rhetoric is often present among us, and especially in speech. Beyond speech, it is it's overall presentation that I believe speaks measures. So while persuassive speech is highly important, I've come to note that rhetoric can be present in how one can relay a message or belief through either their own self image or body language, visual aids, songs, and most importantly actions.

In my anthropology class, we were asked to view the Joe Paterno memorial, and to take note on the audience and their expressions, as well as the speakers. I found myself taking note to the countless rhetoric the speakers used to describe the entire life of one man, as well as the communication means they sought to get through to the audience that sometimes required little to no words. We listened to them speak of this legend and hero that so much of them found inspiration by, but it was their expressions and images of the great Joe Paterno, that moved me the most. So while I considered rhetoric to be present in speech, and anthropology by communication and body language, I came to see how the two merged together.

The Big Ten Network, www.psusac.org.

In recent readings of rhetoric, I learned of the word 'exigence' and how it can be portrayed through many means. Some of which I never considered beyond speech and writing, and this including advertisments, cards, invitations, online networking, videos and more. When defining exigence, it involves the use of any sort of context that provokes one's interest, or stimulates a response. So while the rhetoric of the speakers in the memorial did just that, I witnessed the power of exigence beyond the audience at Bryce Jordan, but the viewers watching it at home. The slideshows of images from early on in Paterno's life to his very end, seemed remarkable as you watched the black and white images from so many years ago come to life. Then also the videos of Joe Paterno coaching, seemed to bring even him alive in his passing. Such visual exigence, had the power to move people, bring back memories of Joe Paterno, give those who never met him an idea of the kind of man he was, and provide for a great memorial of his life.

2 comments:

  1. I too wrote about this, albeit in a different perspective. Going along with your thoughts though, I agree that the memorial for Joe Paterno was a good example of how visual and spoken rhetoric can merge together. I heard what the speakers were saying, but then when the videos came on, it really brought the words and message to life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (In response to your passion blog-I could not post on your wall for some reason). I have heard of this experiment in my women's studies class, and I feel that adults' action are directly connected to how a child will act. Actions are a form of rhetoric; they influence people indivudually, and even as a culture. Our morals and virtues depend of how we were raised, or who we looked up to. If there is no idol in our lives, where is the direction? Like the saying, "A picture is worth a thousand words," an action conveys a message (like hitting is okay). We must always be aware of what we do for it could hold greater consequences than we could ever imagine.

    ReplyDelete